Frequently Asked Questions
Is WhistleStop Marathon a Boston qualifier?
Yes. The WhistleStop Marathon is a qualifier for the Boston Marathon. Please keep your official race result receipt (this you can receive near the finish line on the day of the event) to verify your qualifying time with Boston Marathon race officials. We also e-mail our race results to the Boston Marathon officials for proof.
How do I register?
- Marathon or Half Marathon you can either register, by printing a registration form from our website and mailing it in, stopping by the Chamber Office in Ashland, or at packet pick-up on Friday evening October 12, 2018 from 3:30pm to 9pm at the Bay Area Civic Center in Ashland. NO Saturday/Race Day registrations.
- 5K or 10K, Cruisin’ the Corridor you can either register online, by printing a registration form from our website and mailing it in, stopping by the Chamber Office or the Vaughn Public Library in Ashland, or at packet pick-up on Friday evening October 12, 2018 from 3:30pm to 9pm in the heated tent in the Bay Area Civic Center parking lot in Ashland. There are NO Saturday/Race Day registrations.
How do I know if I am registered?
- If you registered for the WhistleStop Marathon or Half Marathon by mail you will receive a confirmation letter confirming your acceptance into the WhistleStop Marathon or Half Marathon race. Letters will be sent starting in June.
- If you registered online, your confirmation email you received after you registered is your race confirmation card.
- You can also call our office at (715) 682-2500/(800)-284-9484 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cruisin’ the Corridor 5K or 10K. If you register online you will receive a confirmation email. If you register by paper you will not receive any type of confirmation, you can email email@example.com to verify registration.
There is an error on my confirmation card. What should I do?
E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax the correct information to (715) 682-9404.
When and where do I pick-up my race packet?
Race packet pick-up for the WhistleStop Marathon & Half Marathon and the Cruisin’ the Corridor 5K & 10K races will be from 3:30pm to 9pm on Friday October 12th and is held in the festival tent in the Bay Area Civic Center parking lot, 320 4th Ave West, Ashland. There is also packet pick-up on Saturday morning, October 13th from 6am-7am for the Half Marathon and 6am-7am for the Full Marathon in the festival tent in the Bay Area Civic Center parking lot as well.
I lost my confirmation card. What do I do?
Don’t panic. Confirmation cards will only be mailed once. But if you loose your confirmation card, bring a photo ID with you to race packet pick-up and present it to one of the volunteers at the packet pick up area.
I am not able to make it to Race Packet Pick-up. What are my options?
If you cannot make it to packet pick-up you may have another person (family member or friend) pick up your race packet for you. The person picking up your race packet will need the following:
A letter of authorization from you (example: I, Jane Doe, authorize John Smith to pick up my race packet)
Your confirmation card
He or she will need to present these materials to one of the volunteers at the packet pick-up area.
They will also need to verify the spelling of your name, age, DOB, event you are participating in and address.
I am injured, pregnant, or no longer able to attend the race, can I get a refund?
Entry fees are non-refundable. The only exception that will be made to our “no refund policy” is for those who are on active military duty and are deployed for service (a copy of deployment orders is required).
Can I defer my entry to next year?
No. Entry deferments are not permitted under any circumstances.
Can I give/sell my registration to another person?
Yes but you need to do the following: If you have registered for the WhistleStop Marathon or Half Marathon you may sell or pass on your registration to another person. In order for this to happen you must send us a letter notifying us you are allowing us to change your registration to the person and then the person must fill out a registration form and mail or fax it to our office. There may be a fee depending on the date the request is made.
Can someone run in my place?
If for some reason you are unable to participate. You can transfer your registration to another person. (see question above) Legally, for insurance and injury purposes no one can run under your name. If someone was to run under your bib and became injured, they would be treated as if they were you.
Can I switch from the marathon to the half marathon or to the 5K or 10K?
Yes you can do this prior to September 24th by either, mail, fax (715) 682-9404 or e-mail email@example.com. There will be no refunds issued when switching to the 5K or 10K.
From September 25 - October 9, there is a $10.00 to change racers. After October 9th no changes will be allowed
Can I drive to the starting line and leave my car there?
Racers are encouraged to take the shuttle buses from the designated finish line area at the Bay Area Civic Center on Saturday morning prior to the race to the start lines. We DO NOT bus runners back to these start lines after the race. However if you have spectators willing to drive you to the start, please follow these guidelines:
- FULL MARATHON – There is NO PARKING at the race start, however there is a parking corral area at South Shore Sand & Gravel on US Hwy 2, 1.5 miles from the Full Marathon start. Racers and spectators can park in this area and shuttled to the full marathon race start area. Spectators will be bused back to the parking area after the runners have started. Runners will not be bused back to this area after the race.
- HALF MARATHON – For the Half Marathon there is ample parking at the Half-marathon start line. Racers and spectators can park here. Racers need to remember that they will not be bussed back to this area after the race. Spectators will enjoy this spot because not only will you view the half-marathoners start, they are able to see runners returning to this area as they complete the 3 mile mark (approximately 20 minutes later).
- 5K & 10K - For the 5K and 10K there is no parking areas available. Racers are encouraged to take the shuttle buses designated from the Finish Line area for the 5K & 10K racers. If you are planning to be dropped off the driver is asked to leave the area right away because space is limited. Drivers should leave the area.
For a complete lodging list, check out our website www.visitashland.com, or call the Ashland Chamber of Commerce (715) 682-2500/(800) 284-9484. We encourage you to begin looking for lodging as early as possible as room availability is limited near the finish line area & festivities and fill up quickly. If you have a large group (10 or more) and are looking for lodging space together contact our office at (715) 682-2500/(800) 284-9484.
I want to volunteer! Who do I contact?
The WhistleStop committee loves the help we receive from spectators waiting for their loved ones to come in. Contact JoAnn at the Chamber office at (715) 682-2500/(800) 284-9484 or e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I walk the Full or Half Marathon?
We do not have a walking division for the WhistleStop Marathon or the Half-Marathon. The WhistleStop Marathon runs on a 6 hour clock. Walking the Full Marathon within a 6 hour clock is nearly impossible and is discouraged. Because of the 6 hour clock walking however the Half Marathon is very doable and quite fun. Walkers are asked to use racer etiquette, this includes lining up after the runners at the start lines, to stay on the right hand side of the course and please, do not walk three or four abreast on the trail. Make sure you allow runners to pass on the trail.
What type of Sport drink is available on the trail?
Blue (Mountain Blast) PowerAde is the Sport drink provided at the aid stations on the trail, water will be available as well.
Where can I park on race day?
There is ample parking in various parking areas within 3 blocks of the Finish line – Bay Area Civic Center. We ask that you choose these options and leave Main Street open to shoppers. Designated areas are as follows;
East of the Bay Area Civic Center:
BMO Harris Bank
Superior Choice Credit Union
Chequamegon Clinic Area
North of the Bay Area Civic Center
Ashland County Court House
Northern State Bank
North and West of the Bay Area Civic Center:
Parking Lot on the corner of 6th and Main Street
Dallenbach & Anich Law Offices
Can I run with… my pet, baby stroller…?
No automobiles, bicycles, baby joggers, roller skis, inline skates, pets or unofficial participants will be allowed on the race course.
Can someone join me on my run?
No. Unless they are a paid participant no one should run the course with you.
Can I use my Ipod?
For safety reasons we strongly discourage runners from using any such devices during the race. If you feel that you must have one with you please keep the volume low so that you can hear vehicular traffic, instructions from the police or course marshals, and comments from nearby runners.
Address for the Bay Area Civic Center
320 4th Ave West, Ashland, WI 54806
Address for the Half Marathon Start
23700 Pilsen Town Rd, Moquah, WI
Address for the Full Marathon Parking Area
68280 Primrose Lane, Iron River, WI
Can I drop clothing along the course?
We suggest if you are going to shed clothing you do so at an aide station. The items will be brought to the Finish line area where the bag drop is located, inside the Bay Area Civic Center. The earliest clothing that is dropped along the course would make it to the Bay Area Civic Center would be 3pm. WhistleStop organizers are not responsible for lost clothing.
Lost & Found
Lost & Found items will be held for 2 weeks after the race, After that they will discarded or donated to a local charity.
How many runners does WhistleStop have?
In 2017 the WhistleStop Marathon had 400 registered runners and the Half Marathon had 1500 registered runners.
Is the race capped?
The Memorial Medical Center WhistleStop Marathon and Half-Marathon does not cap its races. We take online registrations until 10pm on the Thursday prior to the race and you can register in person starting at 3:30pm up until 9pm the Friday night prior to the race in the festival ten in the Bay Area Civic Center parking lot here in Ashland. No same day registration.
What are the times of the races?
Cruisin the Corridor 5K & 10K starts at 8am
Memorial Medical Center Half-Marathon starts at 8:30am
Memorial Medical Center Marathon starts at 8:30am